Category Archives: Permanent Resident in Canada

How International Students Studying in Canada can get Permanent Residence in Canada

One of the key differences between younger people and older people is their time horizons. When I was young I had a vague plan what I wanted to be doing in 5 years but I had a clear plan for only 1 or 2 years at the most. This article is to get international students in Canada to think more long term if they want to become permanent residents.

The main problem that I have come across in my long time practise as an immigration lawyer is that many international students do not have a long term plan. You should have a good idea of which province you want to go to, which immigration program for permanent residence you want to qualify through and which job you would like to do when you graduate. Of course, plans can change but some plan is usually a big help and much better than no plan at all.

Remember that both the provincial and the federal authorities have immigration programs for permanent residence. The main federal program for students is the Express Entry System and the provincial programs have their Provincial Nominee Programs. Each province and territory has different “streams” or programs. Each program has different requirements and application processing times. Some provinces will only support students who graduate from an educational institution from their province and others will take students from other provinces. So you need to check all 14 jurisdictions (10 provinces, 3 territories and the
federal government) to see which rules fit your requirements the best.

Since there are so many different programs for permanent residence for international students, it is difficult for me to give specific requirements in this blog post. But I will give you some general requirements.

Usually students do not have at least one year of high skilled work experience and that is usually required by the Federal and Provincial immigration programs for permanent residence. However, some programs do not require any work experience. If you have some high skilled work experience from outside of Canada before or during your studies, then this will often be helpful. Co-op programs are very helpful for getting work experience and finding employers.

When you graduate you will likely be entitled to a post-graduate work permit and this will help you to be able to get a permanent high skilled job. The key is not to take a low skilled job as that will usually not help you to get permanent residence.

Another problem I have come across it that there are usually application deadlines hidden in the requirements. For example, they may not count your work experience or education if you don’t apply within a certain time.

And the last warning is that since the process usually takes many years from when you make your plans until you apply for a Permanent Residence visa, you need to constantly be rechecking the provincial and federal program requirements as they are constantly changing. The usual rule is that the rules are fixed after you apply. So if they change the rules after you apply, those changes will usually not harm you. However, if your plan is to apply for permanent residence and they change the rules before you apply, then you have to meet the requirements of the new rules.

Visit our location or subscribe to my newsletter to keep informed of the changes in immigration rules.

You Can Buy Your Canadian Permanent Residence Visa through the Investor Visa

Over the years, I have helped many people to get their permanent resident visa through the investor visa program. This is a program that effectively allows you to buy your visa to come to Canada because you are not required to work in Canada or to run a business in Canada in order to get permanent residence.

There are three main requirements for the Visa. You are not required to have any language tests done for this type of visa.

The first requirement is that you must have at least two years of business management experience within the past five years.

The second requirement is that you must have at least a CAD$1,600,000 net worth. Net worth is defined as your worldwide total assets including your home, investments or business minus all of your debts. This includes the assets and debts of your spouse if you have a spouse or partner. You are not required to sell or move any funds or assets in order to get the visa.

The third and final main requirement is that you must loan the government CAD$800,000 for 5 years. The government guarantees that they will return your funds without any interest after 5 years. It is very important for you to know that you do not need to take CAD$800,000 out of your pocket or out of your assets in order to make the loan to the government. Rather you may borrow the money from any lender anywhere in the world. However, if you borrow the money from a Canadian Bank then you do not need to put up any security for the loan since the Canadian lenders know that the government guarantees the return of the funds. So you are allowed to pay the bank at a one-time payment which includes all administrative costs and the interest. This is effectively the purchase price for your Visa. It is usually around CAD$170,000 to CAD$225,000.

This program has a very small window of time for applying every year because the spots are all taken up very quickly after the program opens usually in April or May of each year. In 2017 it is expected that all the spots will go within a few weeks after the program reopens in April or May.

This program is run through the Quebec government and you are given full Canadian permanent residence status if approved.

If you are at all interested in this program please contact my office and I would be happy to have a free consultation to see if you qualify for the program. It is really within the next month or two that your application must be prepared because there is a large amount of documentation required for this type of application.

Confirmation of Permanent Residence | Permanent Residnecy Canada

Permanent Residence Cards – Proof of being a permanent resident of Canada

Once approved to enter Canada as a permanent resident, an individual may get a Card that confirms their permanent residence status. This is a Permanent Residence (PR) Card. Most permanent residents of Canada must carry and show their valid permanent resident card when boarding a flight to Canada or when driving to a border entry point. If you do not carry the card, you will likely not be allowed to board the plane if your passport would normally require a visa.

It is your responsibility to make sure that your PR Card is valid when you return from travel outside Canada and to apply for a new PR Card before your current card expires. If your PR card expires, it does NOT mean you have lost your permanent resident status!

If you are a Canadian citizen, you cannot have and do not need a PR card.

You can apply for a PR card only if you have permanent resident status in Canada.

The process of obtaining permanent residency in Canada is complex and time consuming.  Individuals can apply for Canadian permanent residence under many categories such as Skilled Workers, Business Class Immigration, Provincial Nomination, Family Class Immigration, Refugees and Humanitarian and Compassionate classes.

40 Ways to Get Permanent Residence in Canada

By Ian Goldman, Canadian Immigration Lawyer with 21 years of experience.

permant residence visa canadaYou may qualify for a way to get permanent residence in Canada that you don’t know about. Think about Canada as a big house with many doors. Most people know about the big front door: the express entry system to get permanent residence through the federal government. However, there are many more options and many of them may be easier to get approved depending on your situation.

Did you know there are at least 40 doors to permanent residence Canada?

Yes, I am saying that there are at least 40 other programs to get permanent residence in Canada! Many are added and taken away each year. So it is difficult to be exact over time.

In this article, I will explain the big picture and later I will go into detail about most of them, including the huge issue of work permits.

The first thing to understand is that the federal government offers some permanent residence programs but the provinces have even more. That is because there are 10 provinces and 3 territories and each of them have many programs.  So for the purposes of immigration, you may look at Canada as 14 different countries: the Federal government and each provincial and territorial government.

5 main categories of immigration for permanent residence Canada

  1. Skilled Worker programs are based on your work experience. This work experience could be inside of Canada (usually requiring a work permit) or outside of Canada. Many provinces have their own programs with their own point systems.
  2. Student Programs are based on having studied in Canada. So you may start your immigration plan based on coming to Canada to study first.
  3. Business Programs are based on you managing or investing in Canada. Some programs allow you to simply buy your visa without investing in a business or managing a business.
  4. Family or friend programs are based on you having close families or friends in Canada. These people will need to offer support to you.
  5. Refugee and Humanitarian programs are for people who have unusual hardship.

Even though I am an immigration lawyer with almost 22 years of experience, this article is public education and is not legal advice. There are many exceptions and details to the information provided that may not apply to your situation.

Learn more about immigration to Canada, tips to applying for a Canada work permit or learn about working in Canada.

Contact an Canada immigration lawyer


Our Memberships

Canadian Bar Association The Law Society Of British Columbia Click for the BBB Business Review of this Attorneys & Lawyers - Immigration & Naturalization in Vancouver BC

Sign up for newsletter