What Makes a Bad Resume/C.V. in Canada
Today’s Canadian job market is increasingly competitive. Your CV is your first point of contact with the employer. It’s your personal marketing tool used to convey a concise summary of your education, qualifications and experience. A ‘stand out’ CV is absolutely crucial to a successful job search, particularly when you are applying from overseas.
- When you apply to Canadian jobs, you may be one of fifty to a hundred or more applicants.
- The average employer spends approximately 20 seconds reviewing a CV and is often looking for a reason NOT to interview you.
- The fact that you live in another country may put you at somewhat of a disadvantage.
- Your CV may not reflect Canadian standards, and the terms used to describe your occupation and experience may be unfamiliar to Canadian employers.
- Your CV may be too long and wordy, or too short and vague.
- Your CV may include unnecessary information.
- There may be errors in spelling and grammar and your work history may not be listed in proper order.
- You may have attached copies of transcripts, letters of recommendation or awards which are generally not required until you are a consideration.
A clear, concise and job specific Canadianized CV is your opportunity to present a strong and professional image – it’s a first step to the next step – the interview!
How Goldman Associates helps to make a strong ‘first impression’:
- Goldman Associates has years of experience working with Canadian employers and we make it our business to know what they are looking for in a candidate. We work with you to best describe your accomplishments and skills in the most honest, accurate and effective format.
- We will review and revise your CV and create a job specific, professional CV.
- We will identify and emphasize your skills, transferrable skills and experience.
- We will ask some tough questions, related to your job history and skill set and we do expect honest answers.
- If your job skills don’t exactly match what an employer is looking for, we’ll revise your CV to show how your skill set is relevant and beneficial to the employer.
- If you’ve hopped from job to job, employers will often consider that to be a risk. We’ll work with you to deal with this obstacle in an honest and professional manner.
- We’ll choose the best CV format to reflect your education and experience in the most results oriented form.
- We’ll create a targeted evaluation of your skills according to each job in question.
- We’ll use key words that the company is looking for in the job description as long as you have the experience.
Goldman Associates will create a CV that professionally represents your years of hard work. Your CV will convey to the employer that you have something valuable to contribute.
Catherine Aboud is a seasoned professional with over 20 years experience as a Recruiter, Employment Consultant and Marketer. Catherine uses a variety of approaches and sourcing techniques, she goes beyond your job history, and helps to define and include your transferable skills. Her vast knowledge of the Canadian job market and what employers want is a valuable asset. A former College Instructor in Job Search, CV Preparation, Cover Letters, Interview Techniques and the Hidden Job Market, not only complements her role as an Employment Consultant, but more than meets the needs of her clients in a personal, direct and effective way. She is not only dedicated to finding you the ‘right job’, Catherine ensures that you are ‘job ready’, so you can ‘hit the ground running’.
© 2012, Goldman Associates.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Download PDF format by clicking the PDF icon above.